Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Taken tonight...

I must look like one gullible fool! Cuz I sure got sucker punched tonight at Food Lion. I usually give everyone the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise...

I had just purchased some milk and a few other things that we needed from Food Lion. Usually I use my check card, but I had a pocket of cash tonight because Caroline had just made her first installment on her car tonight before I left. So, I used cash.

After making my purchases, I went out to the parking lot and was chased down by a young lady in distress with a story about Food Lion not being able to cash her check and her car was broken down on the other side of K-Mart. She wondered if I had a few dollars so she could get some gas. I asked some questions, like, how she got there. She said she walked here. So, I took 3 dollars out of my pocket and gave it to her... then said, "that won't even buy a gallon of gas" which she responded to by saying, it was more than she had. So, I gave her the coins I had in my pocket as well and told her at least that would buy one gallon. She thanked me and then offered to let me see her license. Why, I don't know... told her I didn't need to see it. Then I asked her how she would get to her car and she told me her uncle was coming from Nanticoke and would take her. I should have asked her why he couldn't give her money for gas, but I kept quiet.

Then the manager from Food Lion came out and had a heated conversation with her. And she walked my way. I got in my van and watched where she was going.... she saw it was me and started walking toward K-Mart. I drove around in the parking lot and she thought I was gone so she jumped in a car where a guy was waiting for her... so, I drove over there and rolled down the window, and said, I thought you were broke down. She told me that the guy was taking her to her car. So, I said okay... but by this time I was not buying it... but what could I do? So, I left, but then turned around by DMV so that I could follow them... they got on Rt. 50 and headed into Salisbury and I got on their bumper, flashed my high beams and then turned off onto Phillip Morris and headed home... laughing at being taken. I think she scoped me out and saw that I got change from my purchase and that's why she asked me.

What a funny thing! I should have known better! But then my philosophy is and always has been to trust everyone until they prove that I can't and to say...I'd rather help someone who was conning me than not help someone who needed it... and to know that in the end, they will stand before God and answer for conning people. I don't want to answer for not helping people.

Oh Well... what a night!

1 comment:

cathy b. said...

Your post has got me started on what I expect will be a blog series on past naivité. I think it's an exercise to admit it.