Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Remembering Joe...

Got a phone call last night from a friend at our last church in PA... he called to tell me that a very dear friend and brother in Christ, Joe Wolgemuth, died yesterday.

Joe was such a neat guy... he grew up in the church but never really met Jesus until he was in his 60's. He came occassionally to church when we were pastoring there. But one day that all changed and Joe's life took a drastic turn in a new direction that transformed his life forever.

Joe used to mow our grass, as he had a lawn mowing business... and everytime he did, I would wave to him and spend a little time talking to him. That set the stage for his transformation! One afternoon when I was in the office, he stopped by to "confess" his sins to me. You see, he was an alcoholic and had been stopped for DWI the night before. As Joe and I talked, it became clear to me that the flashing lights of the cop car were his burning bush. God was calling Joe into a new relationship and a new ministry. I told Joe about God's grace and that it was available to him and we prayed together. Joe walked out of my office that day a changed man.

He completed a rehab program, helped counsel countless others who had similar struggles. He joined our men's early a.m. bible study group and he started a van ministry at the church -- picking up kids and families who wanted to come to church but couldn't. Joe was a neat guy and God used him greatly!

Today, I give thanks to God for Joe's life and ministry and I pray for his family and especially his wife, Ellen.

Sharon and I are seriously considering going to his funeral on Friday in Mt. Joy, PA.

No comments: