Thursday, April 3, 2008

Reality sets in...

As a young preacher, I've stood by countless gravesides and shared the passage of scripture from Isaiah 40..."All people are like grass, their constancy is like the flower of the field. The grass withers, the flower fades: but the word of our God will stand forever."

As I am enjoying the beauty of the flowers and flowering trees, especially the flowering cherry trees, I am reminded that they will soon fade... their beauty will be hidden from view. And the truth of this scripture rings out.

As I am in the final days of being a licensed driver accompanying my oldest daughter as she gains driving experience before getting her driver's license in a few days, I am reminded of the truth of this scripture. It seems like just yesterday, we were bringing Caroline home from the hospital... and now it has been well over 16 years. This is quite an adjustment... and it is a phase of fade... as we move farther along and as she graduates from High school in just a few short years and then college... and so on... the fade continues.

Reminds me that I want to take time to make the most of this vibrant stage of life I am in! Because it fades all too quickly! I want to take time to enjoy my children now and my wife now and the life I have now... so that as it fades, I don't have huge regrets.

And in the end... I am confident that as life fades, the word of the Lord will stand forever!

No comments: