Sunday, May 18, 2008

Traveling around Guatemala


When I get home, my plan is to do a daily entry for our trip... with lots of pics... but for now... we are in San Lucas Toliman with Becky and Aaron. We left U.V. at 5:30 a.m. to day and jumped a loaded pickup (small size) with 18 people and drove down the mountain in the rain. Once in Pochuta, we covered the pickup with a tarp and proceded to the next town Potelul and jumped on a loaded school bus (chicken bus) to San Lucas. San Lucas is a real break from where we were in U.V. The place we are staying has real beds and a shower and is in a quiet garden. I feel like in many ways we are transitioning back to our culture. We had pancakes for breakfast and pizza for lunch.... and SHOWERS and a Matress! Tomorrow, we will visit the Mission and hope to talk to the priest who has been so instrumental in helping here and we hope to see more of the lake... Tuesday we will catch a ride to Antigua with Becky and Aaron and tour it with one of Dad´s friends. Wednesday we will part company with Becky and Aaron and then travel to Guatemala City in preparation for leaving on Thursday.

It has been a very eye opening experience for me and I am glad that I came. Especially glad that we had three days in Union Victoria and some other time to travel and talk with Becky and Aaron. Anxious to share what I have seen and some of what I am learning.

While it has been a good trip, the conditions have been harder than I expected and am looking forward to being home and ESPECIALLY looking forward to seeing my family!


The picture is Antonio, Maria, Jose, Paulina, and Flora, the family we stayed with in Union Victoria. They were a delight. It is taken in their Kitchen which is a detatched building with wood and tin sides and a tin roof. The cooking and eating is done there.

No comments: