Sunday, May 25, 2008

Guatemala Day 7 May 14...





Our last full day in Xela! Still no water! Don't know if I will get a shower here or not! But fortunately wash cloth baths are helpful.


A celebration of the day was the return of water... to the lower level, but not enough pressure to get to the third floor... unfortunately it didn't last!


Went to the market via a cousin's pickup... and old toyota pickup from PA with a cap and in the back was a mattress with two bench seats on the sides... obviously set up to haul people.
At the market, we bought vegetables and a slab of meat for our mid-day meal... a type of vegetable beef stew. The meat was beef... the butcher just sliced a chunk and we took it home. The soup was very good.
A friend of the family came by and took us to an internet cafe... 5 houses above Jose's. For 2 Q an hour (less than 30 cents) I could update my blog.... so I did and even showed Carolina my blog pics and our church website... she really enjoyed seeing both.
After a little nap, we walked across town to a public pool so the kids could swim. On the way home, Bryan begged his mother to get papa John to buy some sweets which of course he did!
Carolina's pastor and some other guys were at the new church building so, we stopped to talk to them for a long while before going home.
I find at this point that I am really ready to leave. I am battling an attitude related to the way my father is shelling out money to help this family... my concern is that it seems to be creating a co-dependency situation that is not healthy. I told him that I would not carry on his tradition. I think we have stayed one day too many... and I am glad that we are leaving in the morning. I am anxious to see Becky and Aaron and then will be glad to be home as I miss my family very much. It has been a real good journey so far...but today I reached a wall that I will have to pray my way over.... it doesn't help that tonight we are expected to go to church for the third time in 7 days... If I understood more, it would be easier to do... but two hours of not understanding a word is hard.
Thankfully the water came back on and after my first shower in 6 days and Jose and Carolina getting back from an errand too late to go to church, I was feeling much better! Supper was scrambled eggs with tortillas. After supper, Jose and Carolina wanted to talk to dad, so I excused myself and went to be. Tears were already starting to fall!
A note of interest... cows in the community were often tied in spots wherever grass grew to graze. The pic shows three cows not tied, but free, grazing on the banks of the river that flowed below the house. The river smelled and looked like raw sewage! It was not pleasant!

No comments: