Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Final Turkey Entry this year....

It's been an eventful turkey season for me. The first one I ever pursued them with a bow. Could have taken a couple Jakes early in the season with my bow... but didn't want to do that! So, my friend, Steve got the only bird off my regular farm that I hunt turkeys on. It was FUN taking him and seeing him get hooked on turkey hunting!

After 7 days of trying a new property (one that I nicknamed "Heaven"), I am skunked! I could have taken a Jake there too, but was holding out for a longbeard!

This morning our plan was to go to a field that the turkeys ALWAYS go to after they fly down from roost and wait for them to come to us. It was a great plan! But as with some plans... it didn't work as planned. We got to the field and ready to set up, when a gobbler sounded off on roost and then the others joined the chorus... and wouldn't you know it, they were roosted on the far side of the clearcut that was past the field. They wouldn't be coming our way! And that was ensured when we heard the hens calling and they were already with them. They didn't gobble as much this morning as other days, and so it was a short day! Got home by 8 a.m.

We did see 17 deer this morning! Five in one group that came out the the field and snorted and stamped to try to get our decoys to move. Finally, I snorted back at them and they ran off. If I hadn't done that, don't know how long they would have stood there trying to get the turkey decoys to move. And then a short while later a group of 12 went by single file.

It's been a great season and lots of fun trying to get a turkey. It will be my first one since I started hunting turkeys in 1997 that I didn't get a turkey! And most of those years, I have taken two. I will arrive home from Guatemala on the very last day of the season. Doubt I will hunt it... but who knows!

No comments: