Friday, November 30, 2012

YAY GOD!

What a week it has been.   A friend of mine, who is handicapped fell out of her wheelchair this week and broke her femur and her tibia on opposite legs.   She was in the hospital for a couple days.  And then last night was transferred to Genesis Nursing Center ....for about 4.5 hours until they decided that they couldn't care for her because she was on a vent for breathing.   I had visited her at 7 and all was well, but at 9:45 she texted and said they were sending her back to the hospital.  So, Sharon and I jumped in the truck and went over to see what we could find out and try to intervene.

I met the Supervising Nurse and after a few tense dance steps, we had a great conversation with her explaining the situation to me and why my friend had to go back to the hospital.  Turns out the hospital did not indicate that she was on a vent and they are not licensed to care for vents.

My friend was distraught, so we prayed... and last night's answers were that the 3 ambulance crews from Hart to Heart Transport we several of the folks who had done such a fine job getting her to Genesis without hurting her legs.   And she was thrilled to see them again.  The next answer was when they got to the ER, she was able to get them to put her in a regular hospital bed and not the ER triage beds ... that meant that she wouldn't have to be moved for a 5th time in a couple of hours.

Last night my plan had been to spend my day off today in the woods, but before all of the excitement happened last night, I had a total lack of desire to hunt, so, I made the decision to not go until mid day when I could take my nephew.   That was a prayer answered and I didn't even pray it!

Since making that decision, I was able to be present first thing this morning to see what the patient care management supervisor had to say for the dropped ball.  I went to the hospital today to rattle some cages... but when I got the Supervisor on the phone and she was very nice and willing to meet me immediately so we could talk face to face, I decided on another approach.  In the end, we met for almost an hour and she admitted that they had made some very serious mistakes in handling this case.  She took full responsibility.  YAY God!   And she was willing to "peel back the layers of the onion" as she said to see what else they could learn to prevent this from happening again.  

While I was meeting with her, the new case manager was up visiting my friend and was eager to ship her out to the only home in the area that would take a vent dependant patient.   That really stirred my friend up... so, we prayed.

Then I put a call into the Marketing Director at Health South, a guy I have known since childhood.  He didn't have a bed today, but thought by Monday he would and was willing to call the supervisor at the hospital to see if they could keep my friend till next week.  He was also willing to call his respiratory folks to see if they could accommodate the vent.  If they were willing, so was he!   Another YAY God moment.

So, I called my friend and told her the news and encouraged her to keep praying.    Later, while in a tree with my nephew, I got a text from her saying that they didn't have a bed for her in the nursing home so she was stuck in the hospital until Monday... another YAY God moment!

I was so sure that with all this wonderful God stuff going on, my nephew would get a big buck tonight.... but that didn't happen... we didn't even see a deer.   No matter... it can't dampen the high of this day!   I am so thankful for the presence of God in my life and in this situation this week.

One other place we saw God work was on the night she was in the ER, they wanted to do xrays but she was unable to transfer to the xray table... and rather than be rough and hurt her more, the xray tech took her time and allowed me and my friends daughter to help and be there to comfort and support her... and it took almost 2 hours to get all the xrays!  WOW what an AWESOME God we have!

No comments: