Monday, November 19, 2012

Awesome things...

Right now there are some awesome things happening at Community of Joy!  In spite of losing some key families to moving out of state and one to moving on to another church, our attendance is growing and we are meeting new people each week.   People are finding their place in the mission and ministry of Jesus through Community of Joy!  It is exciting!

On Saturday, we prepared and served the meal at God's Kitchen... something we do at least twice a year and more often if they need us.  There was a time when I could tell you who would be there to help long before the day and it would always be the same people but not anymore.  Oh, if I look at the sign-up sheet I could tell you who we were expecting before the event, but new people are grabbing hold of that ministry and it is neat to see!  We had so much help on Saturday, that I felt I could leave and spend the afternoon working at the Ministry Center raking leaves.  I love working at God's Kitchen, but was THRILLED to see so many others grabbing hold of that value of serving others as an expression of our love for God!

While at God's Kitchen, I had a disturbing thing happen... The key lady from the church that hosts the event, came to me and was complaining because three homeless women were in the kitchen helping us.  I was delighted to be able to tell her that they were a part of our church!  I said, they are part of us!  She looked at me with w weird face and then asked, "What church is that?"  I happily said..."COMMUNITY OF JOY!"     How cool that we can sit in worship side by side and serve side by side with sisters and brothers who live in shelters or on the street!   That my friends is what I believe Jesus would say is "not far from the Kingdom of God!"

No comments: