Thursday, November 1, 2012

Day One...

Well, my long anticipated vacation is finally here... so on day one, I sat in a tree stand from 6:30 a.m. to 6:45 p.m.   And boy did I see alot of animals!

In the morning from 7-8 I saw 3 bucks and 3 does... none close enough for a bow.  Then I didn't see another deer until 5 p.m.  So, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. I saw no deer.  But boy all the other animals I saw kept it fun.

Before daybreak, I had a pair of eagles (that nest on the farm) land in the tree next to mine and carryon about 20 feet above my head.  Couldn't get a great picture of them but if you look in the v of the tree you wil see one.

I enjoyed watching the changing hues of autumn as the morning light gave way to day.  I also enjoyed watching the various other animals... squirrels, foxes, wood ducks, geese, and even an otter playfully feeding on the river below me.

Here are some of the sights I saw.  Not happy with the clarity of pictures... didn't have my glasses so, I couldn't see the settings, but now think I have the problem cared for!









 
 
At 5 p.m. I noticed a group of 5 does come out of the woods and begin feeding in the beans though way too far away.  Then a buck and doe came out and the buck was chasing the doe all around the field.   Next was a group of 8 does that came out about 150 yards away and feed straight across the field.  Next I saw a group of 7 does and maybe one of them was a small buck.  Still too far for a bow.  Finally in that field I saw 2 more lone deer come out... I think they were both bucks but it was getting too dark to see for sure with my binos.  The closest deer to me were through the woods in another field and they were chasing each other wildly.  There were probably more than 3 but 3 is what I saw for sure.  That made my total deer sightings for the night 26 and for the day 32.  Doesn't count the ones I saw walking in or out.
 
 
It was a long day but a good day in the woods.   Headed back out tonight and tomorrow and then we will take Sat. and Sunday to go to McVeytown, PA where we had our first pastorate to mourn the loss and celebrate the life of Leon Rhodes - a grandfather figure to our girls.  Prayers for his family!

No comments: