Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Shortest Night of the Year....

That's right.... I said shortest night of the year... I know, I know... Dec. 21 is the shortest DAY of the year, but yesterday was Dec 22 and it was the shortest NIGHT of the year... maybe not for anyone but Sharon and I.

It was about 12:30 when I tried to turn over in bed and the dreaded back pain I felt 11 years ago while camping (that pain was the beginning of my journey with back pain and a herniated disk)... well it returned and was so intense that I spent the next three hours trying to get out of bed so that I could go to the ER. Finally about 3 a.m. I was able to get out of bed and walk some of the pain away. We decided to go to the ER to see what they could do... Arrived there at 3:45, got checked in almost immediately and seen almost immediately and sent home almost immediately. We were home by 4:50 a.m.! WOW... the shortest time I have ever spent as a patient in the ER! And the amazing thing is that when I came home, I had little back pain... thanks to two new pains - in my arms- due to shots of a high-powered pain med and muscle relaxant!

It was almost comical as we crawled into bet at 5:11 and realized that my alarm was about to go off and the coffee pot was about to start brewing and we were just COMING to bed!

Another funny thing is that the doc gave me a note saying I could go back to work on the 24th! But surely I will be working today in between naps and foggy periods due to the meds he sent me home with!

I feel so bad for Sharon... not getting much sleep because of tending to me and taking me to the ER! But she reminded me that a good wife would do whatever it took and besides, I would do the same for her! What a blessing!

No comments: