Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Imitators

I've been spending some time this hunting season with my nephew, Benjamin. On the 15th of Nov. he got his first deer. And Saturday, we spent time together in the a.m. and p.m. hunting... but no luck. I've been intentional about the way I do things because I know that he is watching me and imitating what he sees. Over and over, I go through the same steps as we climb into the stand and get out... that way he knows to unload his gun, use a tow rope, and always wear a safety belt. When I gave him the new safety belt I bought for him, his first response to me was are you going to wear one too? I said, "OF COURSE!" And the case was closed!

I learned Saturday night that I had slipped up a bit and he noticed. Apparently when he shot his first deer and we thought it was dead and walked up to it only to have it jump up and run... I uttered a word I shouldn't have said... he promptly went home telling my parents and his mother (my sister) that Uncle Martin said..."@@@@ and he's a pastor!" Wow! I am sorry I uttered that shocked response! I will have to do better! We DO learn from others!

Paul writes in Ephesians 5:1 "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children 2and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."

No comments: