Monday, March 19, 2012

More is less...

Yesterday afternoon, as I was enjoying the back porch and the warm afternoon air, while tying some of 6,000 knots on my new Ghillie suit, I hear this quote on a podcast that I frequently listen to..."More time spent with less people equals greater Kingdom impact."

Think about that for a minute.

It is almost opposite what you would think.  It surely is opposite what we hear most preachers say.  Yet it is the very thing that Jesus did and look where we are now.

I am seeing the truth of this lived out in my life right now too!  For the past 7 or 8 years now, I have been part of a Life Transformation Group of three people.  Others have come and gone but the three of us have hung tight.  Sometimes our lives got filled with supporting our children's athletic adventures and we wouldn't meet for a while, but for most of those years, we met every week.  It is something that I have often said, made all the difference in the world to me in terms of my still being in the ministry today!

In November, right before Thanksgiving, one of the guys, experienced a Sudden Death Cardiac Arrest while at the YMCA and things didn't look good for a few hours.  But ALL PRAISE TO GOD, he survived with no effects from the experience and is on fire for the Lord.   As soon as he was out of the hospital, the three of us started meeting again, and he had a friend he wanted to invite, so, I encouraged him to do so. 

This friend beleived in God but that was about where it stopped.  The friend got excited about learning more, started attending church and bible study with us... then he invited his son to join us and he liked what he was experiencing and he invited his friend and co-worker to join us.  So our group of three grew in two weeks to five.  

Now my first friend, had a friend - who was the heart doctor - and he invited him to come to our Bible study... and he came, liked what he was experiencing and he had two friends whom he invited to join us.  So, our little group of 3 was now 8.

My first friend also sent an invite to a facebook friend, who accepted his invite and joined us to make 9.    And along the way, two more guys who were connected to my first friend (one of the original three) decided to come join us and now we are at 11.

And it doesn't stop there... the first friend, was featured in a newspaper article, and last week spoke to a group of people that were friends of his neighbor who were interested in hearing his story.

I have no idea where this will lead, but I am excited to be part of the growing group of men in Salisbury who are interested in becoming the fathers, business men, husbands, coaches, community leaders that God created them to be.

No comments: