Friday, August 30, 2013

Really, I Am...

I made good on a promise to one of our folks at CoJ, who was unable to fulfill his commitment to clean our ministry center for a couple months.  When I learned that, I told him that I would gladly take his next two turns.  So, yesterday before my Thursday night men's 5 Q Circle I went over early and began the process of cleaning.  (Didn't finish before, so I finished mopping floors afterward) 

I was busy working at cleaning the bathrooms when one of our 5 Q guys came in a bit early for our circle gathering and when I explained what I was doing he said, "you are doing what?"  I said, "I am taking my turn cleaning our ministry center."  And he was astounded.  You see the church he was part of paid someone to do the cleaning.  I am glad that we don't pay someone to do the cleaning and am glad that we have folks who are willing to roll up their sleeves and work.  While I was cleaning inside, a volunteer was mowing the lawn!

I think it was also astounding to my friend that the pastor was doing the cleaning.  Sorry it seems odd.  Because to me, it is not odd at all.  I don't consider myself any more important than anybody else that is part of our church family!  And really, I don't mind one bit rolling up my sleeves and working hard in physical ways!

Cleaning is not my gift nor is it a gift that others have.  It is necessary to clean and it is necessary that all of us do things like cleaning that are outside of our gift areas because those things need to be done.

No comments: