Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Importance of Roots...

When you look at a plant or tree, you don't do much thinking about the roots! But the roots are so important to what you are looking at! In fact, the roots are so vital, that without healthy roots, you don't have a healthy plant!

Yet roots are taken for granted, forgotten and often ignored! They lie beneath the ground and thus no one thinks about them. However, roots are what feed the plant, they stabilize the plant and they determine how productive the plant will be.

Jesus told a parable about a guy who told the gardener to cut down a fig tree after it didn't produce fruit for 3 years. The gardener asked to have another year and promised to cultivate the roots. In so doing, the next year the tree produced fruit.

If you want to produce fruit in your life, you must cultivate your roots! Roots in our lives are that which we can not see, but stabilizes and feed us. I have discovered that for me, one of the necessary elements to cultivating roots is regular Daily Bible Reading. Nothing strengthens my connection to God more!

I have just come through a period where I had gotten lazy about the DBR and was only reading the Bible sporadically each week. And I was seeing evidence of this neglect in my life. So, I made a conscious decision to set the alarm earlier and make time for it each day. Also the resuming of my Life Transformation Group and the accountability it holds in my life helps to keep me on track with this practice!

I highly recommend that every person who is serious about following Jesus figure out a way to cultivate their roots.

No comments: