Friday, September 12, 2008

Just got a call from the Mortgage Company....

That's right, I just got a call from John at our Mortgage Company. NO NOT THAT kind of call.

He called to thank me for being such a great customer and encourage me to refinance my mortgage. When I asked him, why I would want to refinance my mortgage, he told me about the low rates they are offering right now. So, I asked John if I could do any better than 5.25%... he said no. So, I said, you see I've already got a low rate. He also thought I might need to consolidate debt into my mortgage. He didn't quite know what to say when I told him that the only other debt I owe is on my vehicles and real soon one will be paid for and that money will be rolled into paying off the other and then we will roll that money into paying off our mortgage.

Then John asked if I had a home equity loan. I asked what I needed that for... he said, "in case of emergencies." I told him that that was why I had cash in my savings account... for emergencies.

I am grateful that we are not in debt too deep (which I call healthy debt... car and house) and that we have a plan to pay off the little that we have as well as a plan not to incur debt. That plan is only buy what you need and pay cash for it when you do or make sure if you charge it, you have the cash to pay for it when the bill comes. To be a good steward of what God has given us, means that we keep debt under control and more than manageable and that we plan for emergencies and that we tithe (or more than tithe) what we have toward the efforts to build God's kingdom here on earth.

2 comments:

Caryann said...

What a great post! WE agree dont buy what you can not afford. Me and Steve have always said if we lost our jobs our bills could be no higher than if we worked at McDonalds lol And I belive we could just make it!

Martin Hutchison said...

Great thoughts Cary! So HAPPY that you have signed up and are posting now!!!!