Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Hardest Bible Verse for Me!

I love the book of James. It is so practical and helpful... however it also contains the most disturbing verse of the whole bible for me!

As a preacher, I understand the great responsibility that God has entrusted to me and I don't take it lightly at all! Yet it is so easy to get tangled in words and say something that is not really what you mean to say.

The hardest verse in the Bible for me is this... James 3:1 "Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers and sisters, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness."

I don't want to ever be a stumbling block for someone, nor do I want to mislead someone or misdirect them. That's why I keep this verse before me all the time! And it's why I value the presence of the Holy Spirit and Community! Both can help keep a preacher/ teacher in line and can help prevent misguiding people!

Maybe that is why preachers of old... prayed faithfully before every sermon... "May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my hear be pleasing to you, O God."

No comments: