Friday, June 20, 2008

Missional Church....

The question has come to me from the "Trendy Words Police" -- "What is Missional?" Good question!

Here is the definition of Missional Church that comes directly from Alan Hirsch's book "The Forgotten Ways"... "a missional church is a church that defines itself, and organizes its life around, its real purpose as an agent of God's mission to the world. In other words, the church's true and authentic organizing principle is mission. When the church is in mission, it is the true church. The church itself is not only a product of that mission but is obligated and destined to extend it by whatever means possible."

To be a disciple of Jesus is to live like Jesus lived, to love like Jesus loved and to leave what Jesus left! He lived a life in constant connection with God and God's purposes for the world and he loved everyone, especially the marginalized and forgotten and he left behind other followers who would carry on his mission... that's why we are here today as a church! I just love that concept...

Live like Jesus, LOVE like Jesus, LEAVE what Jesus left! In fact, I'd like to put those words on banners in our worship space of the Ministry Center!

2 comments:

cathy b. said...

I have had periods of time when I had a strong sense of what MY mission was ... and sometimes I was alone in that passion. Right now, I'm don't have such a sense and that may not be a bad thing. Perhaps I'm willing to be a part of a body and find out what the Head directs me to do. Today I'm praying for that understanding.

brad brisco said...

I like that phrase! Also concerning the question some ask "What is Missional?" I do believe it is so much more than some kind of trendy buzz word. In fact, you may already know this, but Rick Meigs at www.blindbeggar.org is "sponsoring" a synchronized blog on Monday were many will be writing on just that. I think it will be very helpful. Blessings bro.