Monday, April 23, 2007

Turkeys are driving me crazy....

Another beautiful morning on Delmarva... got a little hot by 9 a.m. but it was just gorgeous at 5 a.m. I love the early morning hours outside... the song birds start singing, the frogs chime in, the gobblers clang away and it's the Dawn Chorus as Pooh would say!

Again today, I saw turkeys and watched them for a long time. They would not come close enough to shoot. The BIG tom and his two hens flew down from roost about 6 and were silent after that. The big guy came out of the woods in full strut and stayed that way as he followed his two girls down the lane. I got up and circled around them only to find that when I got there an hour later, they were right in front of the very spot I had left! Now they are some smart birds. But I think I have the deal closed tomorrow.

I chose a new spot close to where they come out of the woods and it should guarantee me a shot! I don't plan to call at all... they don't respond right now when they are henned up and it just pushes the hens in the opposite direction. So, hopefully tomorrow, I can show you another beautiful picture!

No comments: