Thursday, April 19, 2007

Another Great Day....


It's day two of turkey season here and I just love spring turkey hunting! Today, was the same as yesterday... heard about 7 birds on roost with some hens. This time they were closer to where I wanted to sit, than yesterday. In fact, I busted one hen off roost and she flew a long ways away. About 6:50 a.m. a hen came out of the woods onto the woods road I was set up on and looked at my decoys and walked the other way (away from me!). A little while later, she was followed by a couple more hens and then a strutting big gobbler and then another big strutting gobbler and then a couple more hens and then a big gobbler that wasn't strutting. The strutters did not break strut or seem to care about my decoys. The non-strutter was very interested in my decoys, but I think he remembered the day before any how, a couple of rambunctious hens started running around and kept him from coming my way. That's when the FEVER set in! I knew it had to happen sooner or later... breaking my streak of a couple years taking my two birds on the first two days (one each day!). I should have never shot. BUT I did and they ran away in all directions. Then after things settled down, I stepped it off and it was over 50 yds.!!!! YIKES... the fever was the worst I have ever had!


A little over an hour later, I heard them gobbling from three directions and they were coming in... then they got quiet... and a little while later I saw two BIG dogs running around in the woods...so, I left until tomorrow... I am taking my friend Wil. Oh well, that's why it's called hunting! Oh what fun it is too! Those gobbles just get the blood pumping!


The picture is my good friend and turkey hunting mentor, Bryan Bilger from McVeytown, PA. We happen to share the same birthday...year and all! Hope he gets his boy a bird on Saturday!

No comments: