Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Great Day...


Today is the first day of Spring Turkey Season... and after the lousy rain and wind of the last few days, it was a gorgeous day. I had no sooner gotten out of the truck and heard several gobbles in the direction I wanted to go. By the time I got to the woods, there were about 8 gobblers sounding off on the roost. I quickly got set up and by 7:20, as they say, "the rest is history." We are having wild turkey for supper tonight. The turkey weighed 18 pounds had a 10.5 inch beard and inch and an eighth spurs.

Three big adult longbeards came in and another couple gobblers and many, many hens were in the woods behind them. When the turkey's saw my decoy's -- all heck broke loose and they attacked my jake decoy and started fighting each other. What a beautiful sight seing them jump and fly and run!

I talked to my buddy, Wil a little while later and then again around 11 a.m. and he had not heard a bird all morning. I on the other hand had heard about 8 on the farm I was hunting and several across the road. That's the way it is... that's why it's called hunting...you are not guarenteed anything!

As I was sitting there taking in the beauty of the spring morning... praying, appreciating God's creation and the relationship I have with him, I was struck by the thought that for me it was a good day, but for so many in our world and country, it is a very painful day. My prayers and heart go out for the folks at Va. Tech. And for the people in Sudan, and Iraq, and Israel, and Afghanistan. When will we learn that guns are not for shooting each other. And that some of the violence we see on t.v. and in video games does not help! They only increase the wrongful use of guns!

No comments: