Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mentoring my nephew....





Enjoyed some time mentoring my nephew, Ben on Saturday. We went turkey hunting together. It was a great morning! We heard 7 different gobblers. Six nearby (within 50 yards) and one on the other side of the farm. We even had one really nice longbeard come in to our decoys, but it saw Ben move or heard him click the safety and got out of there quickly!

We moved several times trying to get closer, but were unsuccessful. Though I was able to use lots of things about our time to teach Ben woodsmanship skills and turkey hunting facts. He is learning quickly and really seemd to enjoy our time together in the woods. I know I sure enjoyed spending the morning with him!

It was awesome on Saturday at my parent's.... when I was a kid, we NEVER saw or heard a turkey (they weren't around) and then about 13 years ago, they appeared and now on Saturday, we had 5 people on 5 farms hunting them with LOTS of turkeys on each farm. Incredible story of reintroducing the turkey on the shore.

No comments: