Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Kind of Coach I want to Be!



Emma has played many different sports in her life and I have played a few myself.   Thus I have been around my share of coaches and none hold a candle to the coaches of Wi Hi's Track and Field Team.  I have been around these folks for significant chunks of three days last week and this and a day the week before too.

Most coaches coach for success!  But success to most coaches is about winning the game!   These coaches are coaching for life success over game success and that will have a much larger impact!   I have never seen coaches that care as much about the team they are coaching as these do.  Not only do they want them to do their best, but they want them to do their best in life.  And that means that they invest themselves in the lives of these kids.   The coaches have spent hours and dollars of their own money encouraging the kids on their team to pursue goals in life that will take them places... like college and jobs.  

These coaches are true encouragers and they have taught the other members of the team to notice when someone needs a pep talk and give it.  They don't encourage the kids to win at all costs, they encourage the kids to make improvements.  I don't know how many times I heard one of them say... "Wow, just think of the time you had when you began this year compared to now."  Or as the team finished lower than the members had hoped, "that was your best time ever!"   I never heard them say... you didn't do this or that... you should have pushed harder or ran faster or jumped higher!

I truely believe that these coaches have had a life long impact on the members of their team!  And I am inspired in my own life to be more like them in my role of coaching people.   Thanks coaches for your inspiration and selfless devotion to your team and for allowing me to take a page out of your playbook!

No comments: