Sunday, May 13, 2012

Hardest Thing BUT Best....

Yesterday our church served at God's Kitchen... a soup kitchen at another church, where local churches take turns cooking and serving a meal.  We do it about 2 or 3 times a year... as often as they put us on the schedule.   It is a ministry that I love and am passionate about.  

But I didn't go yesterday - on purpose.   Not because I didn't want to.  I missed being there and really wanted to go be part of it especially since we had several first timers coming to help.  But I didn't go because I wanted the person who was leading the effort (it was her first time to do so) to be able to lead it without my influence.   And I wanted the other first timers to have a meaningful experience!

I am excited to hear the reports of what a good time it was and how well it went!

Sometimes, it is necessary to step back and out of things that you love doing so that others can find their way and participate too!  That is the first step toward empowering others and it is a necessary step for developing more leaders and participants with ownership.

For me the reward was different yesterday... it wasn't from my being there that I felt satisfaction... it was from my not being there that it came!  I am excited that it went so well and know that this was another step in the journey of leadership development and discipleship for those that stepped up... that is where my satisfaction came from... seeing others stretch their wings and use their gifts and become the hands and feet of Jesus!

No comments: