Thursday, May 31, 2012

Grace....

Last night I had a wonderful field trip experience with one of our Youth Leaders.   We went to a church in Easton that is doing a phenominal youth ministry.   As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, I noticed a man finishing his supper while standing at the back of his pickup.  When I got out, we established eye contact and immediately I thought to myself, "He looks familiar... but who is he!"   For the life of me, I couldn't figure it out, but I knew without a doubt that I had gone to school with him and should know him.

So finally after a while, when I couldn't recall his name, I went up to him and introduced myself and he smiled and said... "I used to be your neighbor, I am ...."     And we chatted a bit and went our way.  He was very involved in monitoring the youth gathering, setting out and putting away chairs.  During the worship time he was very engaged.   The whole while I couldn't help but beam inside... you see, the reason I didn't recognize him was... church was the last place I expected to see him and it had been 30 years since I last saw him maybe 31.... and time has a way of changing a person's looks....     And I bet church was the last place he expected to see me too!

Today as I recall that encounter, I have been smiling inside... and am so thankful for God's grace... the Apostle Paul writes about it in Romans 5:15... "But there is a great difference between Adam’s sin and God’s gracious gift. For the sin of this one man, Adam, brought death to many. But even greater is God’s wonderful grace and his gift of forgiveness to many through this other man, Jesus Christ."

You see, if it werent for the grace of God in both our lives, we would not have had that encounter!   I am so thankful!

No comments: