Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Who Pastors the Pastor?

On Sunday night, Sally and Doug Ruby brought dinner and said that this was a question that she has been asking herself during my illness.  It is a good question and one that most parishioners don't think about asking, most probably assume it just happens.

Well, I am happy to say that I am part of a loving congregation where it does happen. I have had many expressions of love and concern from the folks at Community of Joy.  And they have ranged from comments on Facebook, emails, daily phone calls, meals, offers to run errands, offers to preach, offers to do whatever is needed. taxiing my daughter places, prayers, even laying on of hands and anointing!  Each expression of love has meant so much to me and my family!  THANKS!

And I also must say that the expressions of love and support have come from the wider church all over... some have called, emailed, facebooked, and one even beat me to the emergency room - just to pray with me!  THANKS!

Yesterday afternoon, we even had a visit from Gene Hagenberger, our District Executive, who drove here special from the Baltimore area to support, encourage, and pray with us.  It meant alot that he would come all that way just to share love and prayer!  THANKS Gene!

Last night in the Bible study that I lead at the Ministry Center we had another expression of care for the Pastor.   We were reading Mark 3 where Jesus heals a man with a withered hand and later on sends his apprentices out with the authority to cast out demons and heal people.  In the middle of our conversation, one of the members of the study who, this was her second time with us, said to me, "Pastor Martin move your chair into the middle of the circle." and then she got up and said, "now lets all gather around him and lay hands on him and pray."  Then she prayed a simple but heart felt prayer for God's healing.  It was indeed a VERY MOVING experience for me.  Words can not describe it.  And I had been anointed a couple weeks prior in our 9 a.m. worship gathering by a dear brother in Christ and that was also VERY MEANINGFUL!

Last night, I took a moment to talk to the group about healing after this experience.  And what I said must have felt like I was doubting, at least to the lady who initiated the prayer.  Because after the group , she came up to me and said, "Now what is your name?  Is it Thomas?.   And then I tried to explain that I was not doubting at all... it's just that sometimes when we pray, we forget who has the power...and we try to order God to do what we want him to do and when he doesn't do it just like we order, then we get upset.  I have felt God's powerful presence throughout this whole ordeal and that can't be discounted!

So, on the way home, I started questioning my response.  And prayed that God would know that I was open to healing in whatever form he desired it!

This morning, when I woke up, my mouth is functioning almost normally!  My eye nearly blinks and my speech is much improved!  Praise God!

I am so thankful for people who aren't afraid to step out and reach out... if even to the pastor!

No comments: