Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Whole New World...


Since early in her middle school career, Caroline has wanted to work in Annapolis or D.C. ... well today she is getting her chance. She was chosen as one of two students from our county to be in the Senate Page program at the Maryland State House and today, she drove me to Annapolis so that I could drop her off.

It was a great ride and one that included many firsts for her. It was her first time driving on the Bay Bridge (she did a GREAT job!). As we were gassing her car, I noticed that the car next to us was our Senator Lowell Stoltzfuss and I asked her if she wanted to meet him. She of course was shy, but I insisted, so she got out and I marched up to him, stuck out my hand, and said, "Sen. Stoltzfuss, I am Martin Hutchison and this is my daughter Caroline Hutchison and we are on our way to Annapolis so that Caroline can be a Page." And away the conversation went. He was so nice and told Caroline if she needed anything while she was there, to get in touch with him. It was Caroline's fist time driving in Annapolis and navigating with her new gps.

We found the house where she and another page are staying and enjoyed meeting the delightful elderly lady who is hosting them. Shortly after we got settled in, the other page came by and after some pictures and chit chat, we went on our way.

When I dropped the two of them off at that State House, they were anxious and excited for the week that is ahead. Sounds like they are having a great time too! All except, the mandatory Page Sport Jackets... Caroline didn't much like them.

So, excited for Caroline and proud of her too! She is about to launch off on her own wings and she will fly far and high for sure!

No comments: