Monday, January 4, 2010

Can't Stay Away...

While I am still on vacation and I had planned to take the entire vacation time off from blogging, just as a kind of fast, I can't stay away any longer.

As the new year is dawning, I can't stop thinking of what the year ahead holds for me, my family, and Community of Joy! There are some changes coming to all three areas! There are areas that I want to grow in, skills I want to learn, relationships I want to deepen and ways I want to lead and empower others to lead. My family will enjoy it's last year as a unit before Caroline heads off to college in the fall! That will be a BIG change for all of us! And my prayer is that Community of Joy will grow in influence and stature in this community as we actively love Jesus and serve him by loving others.

Today, while I was getting gas, near the mall, I saw on Regal Cinema's sign an ad for a new church that is starting. I pray for the success of that church. I pray for that church's leadership and sincerly hope God blesses it. There is not a Christian Church in the world that I don't want to see succeed!

But something about the sign got me to thinking...

It said, "the church that smells like butter" Now I know they were being cute and hoping to get your attention by that and I know that they are meeting at the theaters. But the question it sparked for me, is what do I want the church to be known for?

I want Community of Joy to be known as the place that is all about relationships. About helping people experience a deepening relationship with Jesus and with each other. About helping people experience a deepening relationship with our community and world. In the coming year, I hope that as we deepen our relationships, we will grow in influence and that people will know us as the church where relationships with God through Jesus and with each other are central and really do matter!

Looking forward to a brand new year and all that God has in store for me and us!

1 comment:

.:rweaver:. said...

Mark...

Glad you saw our Remedy Church sign! Here's an article about how our tagline became "The Church That Smells Like Butter":: http://terminalconfession.com/?p=928