Thursday, March 27, 2008

Serving out of comfort zone....

It's great how God made all of us with different passions and interests! That allows us to be concerned about more things than if we all had the same interest.

One of the things we are learning at Community of Joy is to let people serve out of their passions and interests. Doing the homeless shelter is not for everyone! And we need to be okay with that.... there are other areas of ministry that those folks have interests in and serve well in and maybe those areas are ones that the folks who love serving at the homeless shelter don't like serving in so well. It's all good.... but only if we work hard at not making those who aren't comfortable in a particular ministry feel guilty.

When we all serve out of our giftings and passions... look out... we can do so much for the kingdom of God... BUT when we heap guilt on folks or force them to serve in ways they aren't comfortable in... we don't do so well.

For instance, I love youth... but I don't like serving in youth ministry so well... because that really isn't my area of passion or expertise...and so, I realize that because I am wired that way, I put a wet blanket on youth ministry sometimes and I don't serve as well as I could or as well as I do in the homeless ministry area. Same deal with me and children's ministry... not an area I am particularly gifted in nor do I like serving in that arena... but I am so glad that others do and can serve well!

What an awesome picture we paint when we all serve out of our giftings and passions and we allow others to do the same!

No comments: