Thursday, April 19, 2012

When Uneventful Is REFRESHING...



Today was day two of Turkey season and I went again today and plan to go tomorrow a.m. too as all of next week I will be in Indiana for church business.

I went to the same spot as yesterday, because it is a great spot. But today, I had a gun instead of my bow.  I heard one gobble on roost about 6 a.m. and he gobbled about 5 times then sounded like one time after he flew down and that was all I heard today.  And I saw nothing either.  Most folks would find an uneventful hunt like this depressing.  But not me!

For the first hour or so, I sat there as the dawn broke and prayed.  I prayed for Community of Joy, for my family, for the guys in my mens group, for their spouses and families.  Then after a long time of prayer, I got out my kindle and began to read a book and the Bible.  I had anticipated that not much would happen until at least 10 a.m. today, so I planned to occupy my time in a manner that would bring refreshment and boy did it!

In the overfilled lives that we lead where everything is coming at us fast, it is refreshing to get away from everything in the middle of the woods, sit on the ground as the night breaks day, basking in the breaking rays of sun and the harmoneous dawn chorus.   We need down time...time away...time for refreshment... time to make space for God.  Days like today are envigorating because they make time for God and give him priority rather than fitting him in the midst of all the busyness!  Part of why I think Jesus often went off by himself to the mountains to pray!

I hope you can find some refresment from getting away from it all!  Maybe for you it isn't in the woods, perhaps it is at the beach or park or someplace else.  Where ever it is, I encourage you to make a habit of having down time!

No comments: