Wednesday, October 5, 2011

King of the World

Last night in our Bible Study group, we read and explored Mark 15.  It is the trial and crucifixion scene.  As we explored the passage, I had an interesting insight.  The charge against Jesus is that he is the King of the Jews.  Yet, that is not a title Jesus ever uses to refer to himself. 

I always understood the interaction with Pilate (in 15:2) when he asks Jesus if he is the King of the Jews, and Jesus responds saying, "you have said so." as Jesus telling Pilate that it is as he said.  But last night it hit me that perhaps, Jesus is saying to Pilate, "it is you that is saying that, not me."  So, I explored a bit and found that Jesus NEVER refers to himself as the King of the Jews.  And for good reason!  He is NOT!   Rather he is King of the World!  He came to the world... not JUST the jews.  Yes he was a jew and yes he came first to them, but he came for the world.

I am so thankful that Jesus is not King of the Jews!  But that he is so much more!

No comments: