Friday, June 12, 2009

Listening to/ for God....

That will be our topic this weekend at Community of Joy... It is sometimes hard to hear God's still small voice because we don't want to hear it.

In today's DBR (Daily Bible Reading) from Philippians 2, Paul writes , "I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, so that I may be cheered by news of you. I have no one like him who will be genuinely concerned for your welfare. All of them are seeking their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ."

I find that it is so easy for me/ us to seek our own interest. To be about the things that matter to me/us. And when we do that, it is easy to let the interests of Jesus take a back seat or even fall off the radar completely. And when that happens... it seems that we can't hear God or feel God's presence. But I also find that when I/we put the interests of Jesus at the center of our lives, we begin to be aware of God's guiding presence and blessing in our lives and we can even hear God's still small voice whispering to us!

The challenge for me and us is to allow the interests of Jesus to be our interests and when they are, we will experience a closeness to God that is amazing!

2 comments:

cathy b. said...

I'm a little sad to see that the Daily Bible Reading schedule that we are on differs. Now I don't remember how I got on the one I found after you suggested DBR some weeks ago.
But today's reading for me told the story of Elijah hearing the whispering voice. So I feel like we're in sinc anyway!

Martin Hutchison said...

I switched programs as I got a calendar that has the daily readings listed on the calendar and I use them... as it is one less thing to keep track of! SORRY!