Monday, June 22, 2009

5:35

Lots of people are asking the significance of the 5:35 starting time of our coming this fall... Saturday night Worship Gathering at Community of Joy!

And the truth is .... it doesn't have any biblical significance that I am aware of! At least that is not why I chose 5:35.

There are reasons why I chose it, though....

1. it communicates "edgy", outside the box, unique, different, not the standard! And I think that is one of the things I want to communicate with this worship gathering. It is a place for those who aren't in church already to come and connect with God.

2. It is kinda like the 4.99 or 9.99 price deals... not quite 5 or 10. 5:35 feels later than 5:30 and for Saturday night, I want people to be able to enjoy most of the day, yet have time to come to worship. I also want to be sure to be done by 7 p.m. This will allow people to still have things they can do on Sat. nights and it will allow space for CoJ fellowship events at 7:30.

3. I think 5:35 is easier to remember than 5 or 5:30! Mainly because it is not a normal starting time. Most things start on the half hour or quarter hour... not at times like 5:35. Auctioneer Doug Marshall has been starting his acutions for some years now at odd times like 1:17 or 5:17 .... and I've noticed that this is easier to remember; so we will see. Besides, I heard yesterday that there was some study out that says this is a proven fact that odd times are easier to remember. Hope it works!

I am getting excited about our new worship gathering... lots of work to yet do! Like establish the first day.

I am also a bit apprehensive about the sacrifices it will take. Already as a pastor, my family and I sacrifice lots of out of town family events on the weekends and hardly get the opportunity that most get to just take off and go for a weekend. This will be more restricting yet! But I am willing to make that sacrifice for the kingdom! I am willing (don't really struggle with it) to miss the evening hunt on the first day, and each Saturday of the gun deer season. I have talked with Leadership Team about this and we have an understanding regarding flexibility with the Saturday worship gathering.

So, this fall, we will step out and see what God does in and through us! It will be an awesome journey!

No comments: