Friday, February 27, 2009

So many thoughts running...

I've got so many thoughts running in my head!

Tonight is the last night of our two week shelter experience! I am exhausted and will be glad to get back to a normal life... at the same time, I am going to miss the guys and the opportunity to relate and minister. Last night we had 19 guys... two join us each night at 3:35 and 3:55 after working all night.... when they have to leave at 7, it makes for a short night and I always hate to wake them!

My friend Steve, who stayed the overnight shift with me, both Thursday nights, brought enough new socks for each guy to have at least 2 pairs and some t-shirts and sweaters. It was interesting to watch... we put them on the table about 1 a.m. and as the guys would come out to go to the bathroom... not one guy missed seeing them there and all stopped to get a couple pairs of socks and a t shirt. They were most appreciative! What an awesome gesture!

Last night we were pushed out of the eating hall early due to the Camden Neighborhood Association's Mayoral Forum. I invited all the guys to join me... Micah did and he really enjoyed it. We both put questions on paper to be asked, but of course they can't ask questions about homeless people. We got LOTS of interesting looks from the neighbors who came early... they were almost afraid to come in. As I saw that happening, I stopped cleaning up and sat at the table with the remaining guys!

Another thing that happened last night was that the Neighborhood Association parked our lot full... we took pics so that if they ever give us a hassle for parking on our lot... well, they did it!

This morning at 6:30 a.m., I talked to Lynne our one neighbor, who was singing our praises for what a great job we have done with the shelter... she said she hasn't even known the guys were there! And she was also grateful to have such wonderful neighbors!

Patrick, who has been doing LOTS of very helpful social work with the guys this week, said to me, he was going to be sorry to see our shelter end. He says it is the smoothest he has seen! I think that is in part due to several things: 1. our size of facility and number of guests, 2. when you show love and respect, you get love and respect. I have made it a point to call each man by name and every time I see them. Goes along way!

Finally, we couldn't have done this without the awesome help of ALL! Incredible how much we can do when people use their gifts and give their time! It was calculated that in these two weeks we quite possibly gave 960 hours... which is 6 months of one persons full time work.

We are so blessed to be able to be the hands and feet of Jesus in our community and world! And I am so grateful to be the pastor of such an awesome congregation!

No comments: