Saturday, February 14, 2009

Ready and Learning...


Today, we opened our ministry Center as a Emergency Shelter for homeless men here in Salisbury. We will host 20 guys. We have great help in doing this huge ministry. Looking forward to a good two weeks!
Last night, I watched one of our youth play high school basketball. That was a first for me. I've not been too into basketball ever and never watched a high school game. It was a nail biter! And one that gave me lots to reflect on!
The two coaches had very different coaching styles and it was interesting to watch and to reflect on their styles and the style of leadership I live out of.
Coach 1 was young and VERY intense! He was constantly out of his seat and yelling directions to his team from the sidelines. I am sure that he must have been exhausted by the end of the game... I know I sure was - just watching him. Whenever a time-out was called he had all the team gather around him and utilized all the time of the time-out. It was rare that he broke the "huddle" until the time-out was nearly over. His intensity nearly cost them the game as his team had just gone ahead in the last seconds of the game and he and several on the team jumped out onto the court and interfered with a "hail mary" toss from the opposite goal. That set up a situation that allowed the opposing team to tie the game and go into overtime. In the end they pulled it out by two!
Coach 2 was an older and more experienced coach. Rarely was this coach pacng on the sideline. I only heard him shout instructions or make gestures to his team a couple of times. He was poised and calm. When he talked to his team during a time-out, he only talked to the five players that were currently playing and never used all the time. He broke the "huddle" long before the time was up.
As I watched the two, I couldn't help but think about how Coach 2 was relying heavily on what he had already taught his team and was not trying to correct their coarse or significantly influence their play during the game... the work of coaching had already taken place and now it was time to let his players shine!
In 2009, I want to live out of a motto of "let others". I think that was what Coach 2 was doing and I want to be more like that. I confess, it is hard... I am much more like coach 1 and like to be involved in things all the time.... but there is something good about not coaching much during the game and allowing the team to grow into their roles.
On one hand, it's going to be hard these next two weeks, but I want to serve when I agreed to serve, and then sit back and watch my leaders and servants shine as they live into the gifts that God has given them. So, while I really want to be present tonight at the shelter and most nights, I will not be going unless needed. I've got great folks in key roles and they are living out of their passion and gifts... no need for me to pace the sideline and give direction!

No comments: