Friday, May 11, 2007

Screwed Up Legal System...

I was in court most of this morning with a couple of friends. What a screwed up legal system we have and what wild lives some people live.

The system seems to do a GREAT job of keeping people suppressed from getting ahead and finding a new way of life. I am so disappointed in it! My friend has been doing all he can to break out of a very colorful distant past and every time a break happens... something else happens that pushes him down. Today was another example of that. I had hoped that the Judge would let me speak on his behalf, but when I tried to speak up, the judge ignored me. The judge didn't really seem interested in listening to my friend or in helping him. It seemed he just wanted to "wash" his hands of my friends situation.

Another sad observation, the folks with money had high priced attorneys and largely got off... the folks who were struggling, had public defenders and met them in the hallway briefly before going in before the judge. Definitely not equal under the law!

Amazing the sordid lives that some people live... the laundry list is a mile long and some of them have no hope or desire to break out... the thought I kept having is that God loves each of these people so much and desires so much more for them.

I hate being in court, but it definitely is eye opening!

No comments: