Thursday, May 31, 2007

Memories...



When you get older, you have more and more memories... "back in the day" kinds of stories! Well, all this construction work at our new ministry center takes me back to the days after graduating from high school and the summers of college years when I worked for Jim and Penny Sedgwick's company Shore Hospitality Contractors and did many kinds of construction projects. The top picture is a timberpeg guest house that we built the first summer I worked for them in Trappe.


Then when I went to Bethany Seminary in the Chicago suburbs, I was the only paid carpenter on a new church project then called Christ Church of the Brethren in Carol Stream, IL. I spent much time doing carpentry work in this building (the second picture). It was only brick walls when I arrived. I helped on the roof, spent half a day inside the steeple, attaching it to the roof while a crane held it in place, framed lots of walls, installed the baptistry, hung drywall, and did most of the trim work. Those were the days!


And now I am re-living some of that as I work with our folks on the ministry center getting it ready for our July 1 opening!

No comments: