Tuesday, January 8, 2008

What a memorable day!

Yesterday morning, I found myself volunteering on Assateague Island for a managed Sika deer hunt. The hunt was in the campground area and was for handicapped hunters! Most of them in wheel-chairs! There were 18 hunters and most of them had a person who assisted them. It was a gorgeous day and the sika deer were everywhere... I saw more yesterday than I have seen all year.

The rewarding part was being able to help hunters experience the great outdoors in a place and manner that they rarely get to do! These guys and one gal... deserve a lot of credit for all that they did! It's challenging enough to hunt assateague without those extra limitations. One 15 year old girl, Tiffany, has spina bifida and she was able to shoot THREE sika deer with her cross bow! It was so neat to see her having such a blast... I actually got to recover two of her deer. Obviously she couldn't go in the marsh to get it, so I did! I helped another guy drag one of his out and even field dressed it.

I am grateful for programs like the NWTF's Wheeling Sportsman that put on such a hunt so that these guys and gal could have the experience. And I am grateful to have been able to help out!

No comments: