Thursday, January 24, 2008

How far is far enough...

I've been working on a sermon for this week on the teaching of Jesus in Matthew 25:31-46 where he says that when we feed the hungry, give a drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, care for the sick and visit the prisoner, we do that to him. And the question that I keep wrestling with is how far is far enough?

I remember hearing a sermon once where the preacher asked... when raking leaves in my yard, how far into the neighbor's yard should I go? Or when shoveling snow on the sidewalk... where do you stop? Same basic question here... when helping someone in need, how much help do we provide? Is there ever a time when you say, I've done all I can? Is there ever a time when you say -- No way!

And what about if the person truly is hungry... but you know for a fact that they are hungry because of unwise choices regarding money or job? And this is complicated by time spent helping the person with budgeting and counsel on wise choices.

Right now, I am dealing with this issue exactly... I've spent several years helping someone in many ways including financial and the need is huge, but the decisions of late are very unwise. At what point does the help become enabling for the person to live in the dysfunction?

Tough questions!

1 comment:

cathy b. said...

What caring person has not had the same questions that you are pondering? It would be so nice if we could have a "policy" that we could have, ready to apply in case someone asks for sacrificial giving. (or a number like a tithe perhaps)

The only answer I can come up with is that each act of charity is in response to prayer, not reason, not policy, not quota. One day at a time, or in the case of a long term commitment, one gift at a time.

If we are responding in answer to prayer, then questions about enabling or usefulness don't have to be asked. They aren't the right question.