Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Persistence....



My office windows face out to our front yard and several pine trees. In my office, I have the computer turned so that I can face the windows and see outside (you know I am an outdoor person). Anyway, as I am working on the computer this morning, I notice some regular movement in the trees and so I start noticing what the movement is. It is a squirrel gathering pine branches and placing them in the Y of a pine tree to form a nest. However, it's work seems in vane... about 3 of every 4 of these branches falls to the ground. Quite a pile is developing at the base of the tree (I am thankful for this pile... these are branches that would have blown out of the tree in the next wind storm and they would scatter everywhere -- but now they are in ONE spot!) This is one persistent squirrel... a week or so ago, there was one doing the very same thing and the very same deal...with sticks dropping as fast as it placed them... finally it gave up. I wonder how long this squirrel will work today?

Sometimes we are a lot like this squirrel, we go through life doing things with results we aren't happy with and rather than change what we are doing, we keep doing the same things with the same results. If we find ourselves in a situation we don't like being in on a regular basis... it is time to ask... what can I change to get a different result. Or maybe we need to seek the advice of someone who might be able to help us... (I keep looking for another squirrel to get involved to help this one figure out how to build a nest that will stay!) Sometimes persistence is a good thing and sometimes it keeps us in situations that aren't good for us or aren't acheiving the results we would like!

No comments: