Thursday, September 2, 2010

That's what we are here for!

I say that to lots of people in the church... "that's what we are here for!"  We are called to be community to each other.  To support and encourage one another through all of life.

I've been reading a book a friend suggested that I might value... "Think No Evil: Inside the story of the Amish schoohouse shooting and beyond."  by Jona Beiler and Shawn Smucker.  It is a good book about a TERRIBLE event that happened.  Beiler grew up Amish and left it as a young adult, so the perspective is interesting.  In one of the chapters describing what happened immediately after the shooting, he talks about the way the Amish responded to the tragedy... the same way they respond to all tragedies... they come together quickly to support one another.  And he makes this comment... "If there is one thing you can guarantee about the Amish, it's that they will NOT allow anyone in their community to suffer a tragedy on their own."

That's the way it should be!  That's what we are here for!  The church is called to share the love of Christ with all people and when tragedy strikes, we need to be there for each other!

Unfortunately, I am aware of a couple of friends who are struggling right now, but are not willing to allow me to support them.  I am struggling with that!  It is so much a part of who I believe we should be for each other!   I know when I was diagnosed with Diabetes, I appreciated the support of the church!  Praying for all those who feel they need to face tragedy alone!  It does NOT have to be that way!

No comments: