Monday, September 13, 2010

A NEW Approach to Stewardship

Had some fun with this yesterday! 

Last Sunday, I couldn't find our checkbook and Sharon didn't know where it was either.  So, when the offering time came, and the usher came to me for me to put in my contribution in the early gathering, I looked up at her and whispered, "I couldn't find the checkbook today".  And in fun, she smacked me on the shoulder.   Now, I can't tell you the last time I was smacked in church, but I can tell you it has been years!

Luckily when it came time for the offering in the second gathering, I didn't get hit then too! (You see, I always put in two checks each week - to model for my people that giving regularly is important!  And as a leader, I don't ask them to do anything I don't do!)

Yesterday, when it came time for the collection, I looked up at the usher, smiled, and whispered to her, "this week I have DOUBLE!"  She smiled back.  Then when I got up to preach, I shared the story and said, I had hoped for a kiss on the cheek!  Afterall, giving double, I thought deserved that! 

In the second gathering, I shared the whole story and said, she had had half an hour to give me that kiss and I didn't get it... I did get a hug though!  And then she joked that perhaps we stumbled upon a new stewardship idea... a smack when you don't put something in the plate!   (Just Kidding- would NEVER want that to happen!)

Today, she called to tell me that there was one check in the offering yesterday that had the following written in the memo..."Don't smack me!"

What fun!

1 comment:

cathy b. said...

I noticed there was some smacking in the front rows afterwards. This is how wars get started.