Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Hospitality...

I am reading Fred Bernhard's new book, "Deep and Wide: Hospitality and the Faithful Church" that he wrote with Steve Clapp and Ed Bontrager. In it they define hospitality as follows: "Hospitality is the attitude and practice of providing the atmosphere and opportunities, however risky, in which strangers become friends, therby feeling accepted, included, and loved. The relationship thus opens the possibility for eventual communion among the host, the stranger, and God."

They also say that "Hospitality invloves recognizing the presence of Christ in family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, and complete strangers. It means responding to others as we would respond to the presence of Christ in our midst."

Think about what a differente world we would live in if every christ follower extended hospitality to family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, and complete strangers becasue Christ is present in all people!

1 comment:

cathy b. said...

Sunday afternoon I saw a man in the grocery line who was having trouble finding enough money to pay for all his groceries. Meanwhile I was worrying about how to carry my groceries upstairs. I told him I'd buy his groceries if he'd carry mine. He said not to pay him, but he'd be happy to do it anyways. Then I learned that he and his son were planning to haul their groceries to that miserable motel on route 13. Essentially they were homeless. I gave them a ride and learned that the mom was looking for work too. And I'm looking for cleaning help. We all agreed that we were "meant" to meet each other.
More as it unfolds.