Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Pigeons in the same direction...

Today as I was driving downtown Salisbury on Rt. 13 south, I was struck by the something I saw. Up on the power line beside Rita's was a large flock of pigeons...probably over 100 strong. They were sitting on three levels of wire and the odd thing was that every last bird was facing the same direction. They were sitting shoulder to shoulder (actually more like wing to wing) and ALL of the birds were looking south.

And so, I wondered why? Why were they all looking south? Why wasn't there at least one looking north? Which one chose the direction to look? Was something like the wind direction or sun position influencing the way they perched?

And another thing I noticed, they were all situated together. Not one pigeon was at a distance from others.

And I thought... now isn't that a wonderful picture of doing life together... All of us shoulder to shoulder as we ride out the journey. And I also thought -- I am sure glad that we don't all go the same direction all the time. How unadventurous that would be! Thank God that life is best lived in the context of a community where we find connection and closeness, but don't necessarily have to all go the same direction! We in our community connections, we can still exercise some individuality!

No comments: