Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Oprah does what church isn't!

I watched Oprah's special last night on the school she has built in South Africa for girls. And over and over while I was watching the show and seeing the kind of impact that Oprah is having in helping girls have a life-changing experience, I was struck with the thought...that's what the church should be doing!

The church of Jesus should be working together to have that kind of impact on the world.

But instead we are caught up in this reality that is so far from what Jesus envisioned that instead of impacting lives, we are turning people away from Jesus and the power of life-change that he offers.

I want to be part of a church that dramatically impacts the world with a fresh expression of Jesus' love. I want to be part of a church that is more concerned about others than itself! I want to be part of a church that takes risks and does what others deem impossible. And the older I get the more I realize it's time to make a move -- to stop playing the church game! To become more missional! To take risks to join Jesus in his mission to set people free and to proclaim the Kingdom of God and help it become a reality here on earth as it is in heaven. Stay tuned....

No comments: