Saturday, April 20, 2013

Apprentices...

 
This picture sums up how most of us are probably feeling today after watching the events of this week in Boston come to an end last night.
 
 
This picture was taken about 8:30 a.m. today as the rain finished falling and the sun began to peak out from behing the clouds as I walked across the field lane to the turkey woods to hunt wild turkeys.  I had originally planned to bring my nephew with me today as he had a rare second weekend in a row at his mom's house.  But I didn't communicate that to him in time and he had made other plans.
 
Turns out his other plans involved taking my dad (his grandpa) turkey hunting this morning.  After lining up the place for them to hunt with my cousin and coaching both Ben and my dad, I was anxious to hear all about their day.   Especially because I have been taking Ben turkey hunting for the past 5 or so years but I have never let him call them yet.  And my dad has never ever turkey hunted at all.
 
I awoke this morning to texts from Ben asking what time he should get up.   Had to laugh at that... I had told him what time he should be at the woods which I thought would allow him to figure out what time he needed to get up.  The next two texts reported that he had called in two lone Jakes (young gobblers) and that my dad had decided not to shoot them.   Boy was I proud of Ben for that accomplishment... it is not an easy one at all! 
 
So, I went turkey hunting myself and was bowled over when I got a text later in the day from him saying that there was a big gobbler out in front of them gobbling and he was calling to it.  And then he said that he intended to let Grandpa shoot it if it came in!!!   WOW!~
 
It is so cool to see someone you have been apprenticing spread their wings and fly!   This will be a day I remember for a long time.
 
It occurs to me that the same is true with people we are apprenticing for Jesus!  The purpose for apprenticing people for Jesus is to see them soar high, not become dependant on you.   And it is one of the greatest feelings in the world when you see them take off!
 



No comments: