Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Back at it...

Sorry for the long silence!  Been struggling with lots of things and have decided to stay away from the blog for a while. 

But now, I am back!

A few months ago in worship we used what I call the 5 Q method of Bible Study in place of the sermon and the passage that we looked at was the story of Bartimaeus.  God showed me something that I have never seen before in that passage and it is still having an impact in my life.

Basically Jesus is traveling by the place where Bart is stitting.  Bart calls out to Jesus for mercy.  The people following Jesus tell Bart to shut up.  Bart calls louder and gets Jesus' attention.  Then Jesus stops in his tracks and tells the very people who told Bart to shut up, "tell him to come here".

Jesus is telling the very people who pushed Bart to the margins of life that Bart is worthy of Jesus' grace.

The question that stirs in my soul from this passage is this... How am I guilty of pushing people away from the grace of God by the way I live my life?   And how can I work more intentionally toward helping people on the margins experience the wonderful grace of God in their lives?

No comments: