Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Church

I have been trying to take advantage of a week not preaching to work on Christmas and Advent series of sermons for this year.  Thought I had an idea... but not feeling it now.  I get so tired of the same passages every year... how do you bring something new and fresh to them?

So, yesterday I found myself at Barnes and Noble perusing books... found a neat one by Len Sweet and Frank Viola called Jesus Manifesto: Restoring the Supremacy and Sovereignity of Jesus Christ.  As I was leafing through it, I found a chapter that caught my attention and had a couple ideas that sparked my thoughts... so, I bought it and promptly read it.  Good read, interesting thoughts.   Still not sure about Christmas 10, but hopefully soon will nail it down.

In the next several blog posts, I want to share some quotes from the book.  

This one is about the church. 

"The occupation of every local assembly can be summed up in two words: discovering and displaying - that is, discovering and displaying Christ.  This is the church's chief calling in this world - to manifest the mystery.  The church is the tangible manifestation of Christ's life in the world today.  Because the church is part of Christ, a revelation of Jesus will eventually lead to a revelation of His church."

No comments: