Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Where does Jesus live?

I've been reading Mark Foreman's book "Wholly Jesus:His surprising approach to wholeness and why it matters." It is a great read! Very enlightening.

Here is a quote that captured my attention..."In the current Western definition of salvation, Jesus is largely limited to the heart. This is not true of the largest portion of believers outside the Western world. But stereotypically speaking, when a Western-minded child is asked, "Where does Jesus live?" the expected answer is, "in my heart." This is all well and good if the child grows up to understand that Jesus also lives through my words, my actions, my fantasies, my goals, my finances, my relationships, etc. But sadly, for many, Jesus never makes it out of their hearts. He stays inside while the person passively waits for heaven."

"Salvation understood from Wholly Jesus' perspective reverses the direction of popular evangelism. Rather than offering to get people into heaven with the real results to come later, Jesus' offer concerns itself primarily with getting heaven into people and thus transforming culture now. He came to invade the lives of broken people and, through them transform a broken world. There is nothing we must wait for.... Jesus called that invasion the Kingdom of God."

No comments: