Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My First Book....

Last week, I had a Facebook friend suggest that I should write a book. I told her that if I did, she and my mother would be the only two that read it! I am not a writer.

But I have some ideas that I think would make a great book!

Yesterday, on a lark, I stopped at the Gospel Shop in Salisbury (a book store) and a newly released book jumped into my hands. It was the title that got me. I had not planned on buying that book (in fact, I was looking for a different one... they didn't have that one!) And I had not planned on reading the whole book yesterday (all 233 pages) but that is what I did!

Now I can't write my book, because it is already written. Someone has read my mind and expressed many thoughts that I have had for a while now... and he is making money from his book... much more money than I would have made! Since it is already written, I think I will have to turn my thoughts with the support of his thoughts into a sermon series!

The book is by Craig Groeschel, pastor of LiveChurch.tv. It is called "Believing in God, but living as if he doesn't exist - the Christian Atheist."

This thought penetrates right to the heart of the problem I see that exists in our churches today and why the church is not having much impact in our world for the Kingdom of God!

Craig begins the book with a confession of being a recovering Christian Atheist. I too have to admit that I am one too! I don't want to be... but truthfully that is what I am!

And then his chapters that follow are (they define what a Christian Atheist is)... 1. When you believe in God but don't really know him. 2. When you believe in God but are ashamed of your past. 3. When you believe in God but aren't sure he loves you. 4. When you believe in God by not in prayer. 5. When you believe in God but don't think he is fair. 6. When you believe in God but won't forgive. 7. When you believe in God but don't think you can change. 8. When you believe in God but still worry all the time. 9. When you believe in God but pursue Happiness at any cost. 10. When you believe in God but trust money more. 11. When you believe in God but don't share your faith. 12. When you believe in God but not his church.

Honestly, I would not have thought of all of these, but most of them would have made my book!

Craig ends his book with a chapter called "Third Line Faith" which I found incredibly interesting and helpful. Not sure I would have termed it the same way, but I like the way he did. Line 1: I believe in God and the gospel of Christ enough to benefit from it. Line 2: I believe in God and Christ's gospel enough to contribute comfortably. Line 3: I believe in God and Christ's gospel enough to give my life to it. Then he challenges us to live our lives passing the third line daily!

There you have it ... the frame work for my first book... written by Craig Groeshel. By the way he is a much better writer than I would have been!

No comments: