Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Walking a Mile in Someone's Shoes...

The old saying is... until you walk a mile in someone's shoes...

Well, today I had a similar experience but not in shoes... today, I got to ride in another person's wheel chair - not a manual one... but a motorized one... and what a scary experience!!!  Especially navigating it out of the tight corners from the bedroom, where it was located, to the van outside.  And the MOST SCARY part of all was riding it out of the van onto the lift and trusting that it would stop when it needed to.   I had it in the lowest gear and barely touched the joystick to inch it forward!

I gained a whole new appreciation for my friend.  She makes it look SO EASY navigating this chair around.   I can't tell you how many times I have seen her move around and thought how easy she does it.  However, when I got into the chair and began to navigate it, I soon realized tht 2 seconds was all I needed to know it is NOT EASY!

You can't really know a person and what their life is like until you ride in there wheel chair for more than 20 feet!

Praying my friend soon is able to use her chair... even better yet, that she will soon have her new chair.  First week behind us of the 4-6 they said until the ordered chair comes in.

No comments: